Men’s shed boosters

A NUMBER of the Wimmera’s men’s sheds have been given a boost with federal government funding.
Nanjing Night Net

ON TRACK: Rupanyup and District Consultative Committee vice-president Ray Kingston and project manager Adrian Tyler at the site of a men’s shed the committee is building. Picture: SAMANTHA CAMARRI

Men’s sheds at Rupanyup, Harrow, Hopetoun and Kaniva were all awarded grants through the federal government’s National Shed Development Program.

A men’s shed being built by the Rupanyup and District Consultative Committee received $7000 through the grants program.

The shed is still under construction.

The group received the money forelectrical work and to connect the shedto a power supply.

SecretaryAdrian Tyler said the grant brought the consultative committee one step closer to completing and opening the shed.

He said the committee hoped to open the shed for community members to use before Christmas.

Mr Tyler said55 people had already registered interest into using the men’s shed.

He said he expected about 30 active members to attend regular meetings when the shed opened.

“It’s been an amazing response,” he said.

Mr Tyler said the consultative committeehad been working on building the men’s shedsince 2012.

“It’s been a long process but we’re nearly there,” he said.

Member for Mallee AndrewBroad welcomed the funding to all of the men’s sheds.

He said the grants helped fund the development and sustainability of the groups.

“Across the Wimmera and Mallee, I have seen the incredible contribution that the men’s shedsare making in our communities, particularly in our smaller towns,” he said.

Hopetoun Men’s Shed received $3000 for a number of tools including a welder, mitre saw, drill press and drill hammer.

The money will also be used to cover the cost of freight to transport the tools.

Harrow Men’s Shed also received $3000.

The men’s shed group will use the money to install a concrete path and safety rails to improve the accessibility of the shed.

Kaniva Men’s Shed received money fortools including saws, drills, heat guns, sanders and welders.

All men’s sheds were eligible to apply for up to $8000 in grant funding through the program, runby the AustralianMen’sShed Association.

Mr Broad announced the successful grant recipientson Monday.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More &#8594

Whyalla Foreshore adopted as beach’s official name

The votes are in and Whyalla’s beach will now formally be called the Whyalla Foreshore. Pictured was mayor Jim Pollock.The votes are in and Whyalla’s beach will now formally be called the Whyalla Foreshore.
Nanjing Night Net

It was resolved at the August council meeting that the beach be renamed Whyalla Foreshore, with the associated car parks being labelled Whyalla Foreshore Eastern Car Park and Whyalla Foreshore Western Car Park.

It was recommended to council that the foreshore be officially named and associated car parks be differentiated to assist emergency crews in locating persons in trouble in the case of an emergency.

The council undertook a rigorous public consultation process, with community feedback received indicating a strong preference for the name Whyalla Foreshore to be officially adopted.

From the public consultation period 142 submissions were received with 79 per cent of respondents preferring Whyalla Foreshore and the cark park names that were associated with this name.

Whyalla mayor Jim Pollock said the adoption of an official name for Whyalla’s foreshore area would assist emergency crews when faced with an emergency situation.

“It is necessary for us to have an official name and way to differentiate the different car parks and areas at the foreshore in the case of an emergency,” Mr Pollock said.

“While this won’t necessarily result in any changes for residents, it is important they are aware of the new name so that should they need to direct emergency staff to a situation they know where to send them.”

Notification of this recommendation will now be forwarded to the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure’s Geographical Names Unit for official gazettal.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More &#8594

Ben Emms secures world title

Ben Emms being Chaired to the presentation by his Australian Teamates.
Nanjing Night Net

Lyndhurst resident Ben Emms, is the newly crowned world champion in the sport of Fullbore Rifle Shooting.

Ben began rifle shooting early on through his family’s interest in the sport.

The family property has been home to the Lyndhurst Rifle Club since 1921.

The stock and station agent found himself at the top of the leaderboard after competing against 400 of the world’s best in the championships held in the United States.

The event of Fullbore Rifle Shooting entails firing single shot target rifles with metal sights over the 800/900 and 1000 yard ranges.

The rifles are fired from the prone position with no rest just a sling supporting the rifle.

Like other target shooting sports, athletes need to be well physically and mentally rehearsed in order to reach the highest level, due to the demand it puts on the body.

The world championships for this sport are held every four years and attracts competitors from all over the globe.

Ben’s Newcastle teammate Matt Pozzebon, who earlier in the week emulated Ben’s last year success by winning the USA Championships, was a close finishing third in the world championship.

The rifle shooting team competition, the Palma Teams Match, was held after the completion of the individual rounds.

Australia placed fourth in this event after a close battle with South Africa and Great Britain took out the title.

Scores from the Individual Competition were:

Emms, Ben 669-77 Australia.

Ball, Nigel 668-75 Great Britain.

Pozzebon, Matthew 666-78 Australia.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More &#8594

Opinion: Cronulla-Sutherland Kayak Club’s magnificent seven take on world

Darren Lee, Nadya Mikhailova, David Little, Dallas Newman, Lorraine Harper-Horak and in the front Pauline Findlay and Sasa Vujanic will all be representing Australia at the Kayak world masters. Picture: Jane DysonCRONULLA-Sutherland Kayak Club has seven members headed overseas next month to represent Australia at the Marathon World Cup Masters and Marathon World Championships in Gyor, Hungary.
Nanjing Night Net

One of their final tune-ups for the international series of races was held on Saturday at Grays Point when the club staged a round of the state marathon series.

More than 140 entrants took to the water for endurance canoe racing at Grays Point.

Cronulla Sutherland Kayak Club secretary Peter Sigal said Australian Canoeing named the magnificent seven to represent at the International Canoe Federation World Canoe Marathon Championships and the World Masters Cup.

The Masters World Cup is on September 8-9; the World Championship September 11-13.

The seven selected are Nadya Mikhailova, Pauline Findlay, Dallas Newman, Lorraine Harper Horak will compete along with Darren Lee and David Little in the Masters World Cup in both K1 and K2 class events. Australian marathon champion Sasa Vujanic will compete in the World Marathon Championship men’s senior K1 event.

Sigal said the their selection was as a result of individual performances at the Australian Marathon Championships held in Canberra earlier this year.

Sigal said it’s a credit to their club and reflects the top calibre of people that are members of the club.

Two Test greats

ON THE cricket front, the fifth Ashes Test starts at The Oval in south London today, as skipper Michael Clarke wears the baggy green for the last time.

I spoke about my endorsement of Clarke in this column last Thursday.

He has been a wonderful player and fine leader.

This will be his 115th and final Test match.

The Test, limited-overs one-dayers and Twenty20 sides will be captained by Sutherland Cricket Club’s Steve Smith, who was formally appointed on Friday .

Clarke was the brash young stroke-maker who became the steadfast, tough, selective shot-maker and the studied accumulator as his career developed.

Smith deserves full support and have the opportunity to take the next generation of players forward at international level.

At 26 he still has many, many, many innings ahead of him.

He is a humble young man, articulate, and communicates and relates well with people of all ages.

Smith has hinted he may even drop himself down the batting order to No. 4 from his newly acquired No.3 position.

Smith should stay at No.3 and build a new middle order around him.

http://梧桐夜网theleader南京夜网419论坛/story/3275485/its-official-steve-smith-is-the-next-and-45th-australian-test-captain/

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More &#8594

Format to spice up comp

FAST TENNIS: Event sponsor, Port Lincoln McDonald’s owner Tony Baj and local tennis export Darren Polkinghorne are excited about the launch of Port Lincoln’s new Fast Tennis competition, which starts tomorrow night.A NEW tennis concept that’s sweeping the sport will touch down in Port Lincoln tomorrow night as a prelude to the upcoming summer season.
Nanjing Night Net

Fast Tennis, a shortened mixed format of the game with four-game sets, no-advantage deuce games and the playing of lets aims to spice up the local competition and get more people involved.

Port Lincoln Tennis Association president Julie Polkinghorne said matches would be quick, exciting and a lot of fun.

The competition will run on Friday nights at 6.15pm for five weeks before regular summer tennis begins.

Mrs Polkinghorne said the association was looking at new ways to filter fresh faces in to the regular competitions and thought a fun way to do that would be to try the Fast Tennis concept.

Teams of four will be mixed and need a minimum of one female player, and both juniors and seniors are encouraged to participate.

Each Friday the competition will start with doubles matches, which are best of two sets with a super tie-break used to decide any tied games.

Singles matches will follow, which are best of three sets, and all sets will be decided by a mini tie-break at 3-3.

Mrs Polkinghorne said McDonald’s had come on board as a major sponsor, which reduced the cost to nothing for Port Lincoln Tennis Association members and $2 per person for non-members.

She said she was “stoked with the response” and was looking forward to seeing some fresh faces at the tennis tomorrow night.

Entries close today so if you would like to be involved contact Julie Polkinghorne on 0428 531 106.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More &#8594